Practising Wisely: Reducing Unnecessary Testing and Treatment is a suite of new continuing professional development opportunities for primary care providers.
Participants will identify opportunities to “practise wisely”, with a focus on reducing over-prescribing, over-imaging, over-screening, and over-monitoring using the latest evidence and tools from diverse sources.
About Practising Wisely
The program centers on case studies and incorporates individual reflection and group work. It helps participants to build communication skills to guide their patients through the shift from seeking sickness to enhancing health.
After active engagement in this program, participants will be better able to:
- Identify opportunities to reduce “too much medicine”
- Access and assess reliable, renewing online resources
- Integrate relevant evidence into individual patient care
- Communicate and build consensus with patients to reduce over-medicalization
Program Delivery Options
The workshop is structured in a modular format and is offered in 2 options: 1) A full-day, deep-dive into all 4 modules or 2) A half-day case-based small-group workshop (Module 1 and one of Modules 2, 3 or 4)
- Module One: We examine the harms and drivers of too much medicine and introduce a four-step approach to applying evidence to patient care with a focus on low back pain and ovarian cysts.
- Module Two: Reliable, renewing online resources are put to work to support practice change. Cases centering on proton pump inhibitors and statins for primary prevention are the focus.
- Module Three: Cancer screening is the topic here as participants differentiate risks and integrate relevant evidence into individual patient-care supported by shared decision-making.
- Module 4: Evolving the annual physical exam to become a periodic health review personalized for each patient is a key element of this module. Poly pharmacy in the elderly and over-monitoring for diabetes are addressed as well
Laptop or Tablet –
During this workshop you will be asked to visit multiple websites to access various resources. Therefore, all participants are required to bring a laptop or tablet that has the ability to connect to the Internet in order to fully participate in the course.
Pre- and Post-Course Activity –
Upon registration you will be asked to complete pre-course activity. As a three credit per hour group learning activity, participants will be required to complete a post-course activity six weeks after the course date and another post-course activity 12 weeks after the course date. You must complete all pre- and post-course activities to be awarded your credits.
Practising Wisely more than a CPD course. It is a framework that will help you implement good health care stewardship and avoid over-medicalization for your patients. You can’t do it alone-your whole clinic needs to be behind you.
If you are interested in bringing an interdisciplinary Practising Wisely program to your clinic staff contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 780-488-2395