Student Leadership – Rising Star Award
The Student Leadership – Rising Star Award supports, promotes, and recognizes students, our future leaders and advocates for family medicine. It is awarded to two medical students (one from the University for Alberta and one from the University of Calgary).
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a student enrolled in the undergraduate medical degree program at either the University of Alberta or the University of Calgary.
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in family medicine which is reflected in his or her experiences and chosen electives.
- Participate in various family medicine activities during their studies (e.g. participation in a Family Medicine Interest Group, Student Information Session, Shadowing Program or attending the Annual Scientific Assembly.)
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills in advocacy, community service and/or education.
- Current members of the ACFP Board are not eligible for nomination of this award.
Recipients are nominated by their peers or members of the public or can be self nominated.
The application package includes: a completed application form providing details on how the nominee meets the award criteria and at least two letters of recommendation.
- A recent resume may also be provided
- The ACFP Nominating and Awards Committee will review all nominations and a recommendation will be made to the Executive Board
- The ACFP Executive Board will review the Nominating and Awards Committee recommendation, and provide their comments and/or support.
The ACFP Student Leadership – Rising Star award recipients will receive an engraved sculpture, and a cash award of $500. Recipients will be acknowledged on the ACFP website, in the President’s Message and included in the ACFP Year in Review document. Recipients who are present at the ACFP’s ASA Award Ceremony will be announced and asked to stand to be acknowledged.
Download the Application
Take a moment to fill in the nomination form for someone you feel deserves recognition. Remember this is the only mechanism that can tell the story on why your nominee deserves this honour. Be specific with your examples. Provide letters of recommendations from different perspectives supporting your example. The more details you can provide will help the review committee understand why your nominee deserves the Student Leadership – Rising Star award.