Outstanding New Professional
The New Professional Award recognizes a family physician, in his or her first five years of practice, who has not only successfully established his/her career, but has demonstrated balance through commitment to family, patients, colleagues and community.
Examples may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Served as a volunteer in the community.
- Demonstrated proficiency and competency in providing care to patients.
- Opened a new practice – solo or group.
- Contributed to a new practice or locum, by sharing on call duties, working with colleagues and other health professionals in a team environment.
- Participated as a valued member of a professional committee.
- Provided leadership through involvement in teaching and/ or research.
- Improved problem solving skills in the clinic and/ or hospital setting.
To qualify, applicants must be:
- A member of the College in good standing.
- In their first five years of practice.
- Current members of the ACFP Board and Nominating and Awards Committee are not eligible for nomination of this award.
- Recipients are nominated by their peers or members of the public or can be self nominated.
- The application package includes: a completed application form providing details on how the nominee meets the award criteria and at least two letters of recommendation.
- A recent resume may also be provided.
- The ACFP Nominating and Awards Committee will review all nominations and a recommendation will be made to the ACFP Executive Board.
- The ACFP Executiv Board will review the Nominating and Awards Committee recommendation and provide their comments and/ or support.
The Outstanding New Professional award recipient will receive an engraved sculpture, and a cash award of $500. Recipients will be acknowledged on the ACFP website, in the President’s Message and included in the ACFP Year in Review document. Recipients who are present at the ACFP’s ASA Award Ceremony will be announced and asked to stand to be acknowledged.
Download the Application
Take a moment to fill in the nomination form for someone you feel deserves recognition. Remember this is the only mechanism that can tell the story on why your nominee deserves this honour. Be specific with your examples. Provide letters of recommendations from different perspectives supporting your example. The more details you can provide will help the review committee understand why your nominee deserves the Outstanding New Professional award.