Family Physician of the Year
(By Zones (5) and Alberta’s CFPC Reg. L. Perkin FPOY (selected from the zonal representatives))
Each year, the ACFP selects a Family Physician of the Year from each provincial health zone. The award recognizes an outstanding family physician member who best exemplifies what being a family doctor is all about. Recipients are chosen by their peers for providing exceptional care to their patients, making significant contributions to the health and well being of their community and/or society in general, and dedicating themselves to the education for future generations of family doctors.
They may be asked to meet and interact with community groups throughout the year of the award to talk about the role of the family physician and share the meaning of being a family doctor.
- Have been in practice for a minimum of 15 years.
- Be a member of the College in good standing for at least 10 years.
- Demonstrate outstanding leadership in the areas of advocacy, community service and/or education.
- Support excellence in family medicine, including community medical services, involvement in the College and contribution beyond their medical practice to the community at large.
- Exemplify the four principles of family medicine:
- The family physician is a skilled clinician.
- Family medicine is a community-based discipline.
- The family physician is a resource to a defined practice population.
- The patient-physician relationship is central to the role of the family physician.
- Current members of the ACFP Board and Nominating and Awards Committee are not eligible for nomination of this award.
- The application package includes: a completed application form providing details on how the nominee meets the award criteria, an overview of the nominee’s achievements, and at least two letters of recommendation.
- Additional letter(s) of support from colleagues, patients, and members of the community, and the nominee’s resume may also be included.
- The ACFP Nominating and Awards Committee will review all nominations and a recommendation will be made to the ACFP Executive Board.
- The ACFP Executive Board will review the Nominating and Awards Committee recommendation, and provide their comments and/or support.
- The successful recipient of the award will be notified and their nomination will be forwarded by the ACFP to the College of Family Physicians for recognition as one of Canada’s Family Physicians of the Year (Reg. L. Perkin Award)*.
The award recipients (Zonal Family Physician of the Year honorees) will receive an engraved sculpture and a cash award of $500. Recipients will be acknowledged on the ACFP website, in the President’s Message and included in the ACFP Year in Review document.
The Awards and Recognition Committee will select one recipient from the five eligible Family Physician of the Year honorees to represent Alberta and receive the CFPC’s Reg L. Perkin award. He or she will be presented with an Albarello**, and will receive complimentary registration to the ASA, travel and two nights’ accommodation at the conference hotel. The recipient will be honoured at the time of the provincial Annual Scientific Assembly (ASA), as well as nationally, by the CFPC, during Family Medicine Forum (FMF).
Download the Application
Take a moment to fill in the nomination form for someone you feel deserves recognition. Remember this is the only mechanism that can tell the story on why your nominee deserves this honour. Be specific with your examples. Provide letters of recommendations from different perspectives supporting your example. The more details you can provide will help the review committee understand why your nominee deserves the Student Leadership – Rising Star award.
*Dr. Reg L. Perkin, CFPC Executive Director (1985- 1996)
**The Albarello was the traditional form of drug bottle made in Spain and Italy from the 13th to the 18th century. The Albarello is specially designed for the AB FPOY by a local potter in Ardrossan, Alberta – Sam Uhlick.