In June 1954, the Alberta College of Family Physicians was established by a group of general practitioners who believed in a vision—a vision for knowledge sharing in practical settings and professional camaraderie.
The Chapter was known, back then, as The College of General Practice (Alberta Division). A 1969 article written by past president (1960), M. Dolgoy MD, in Canadian Family Physician documents the first 10 years of the Chapter. Download the full article now or see the original 1969 scans.
The First 10 Years
|June 1954||The College is founded. Dr. Pat Rose was nominated to represent the College in early deliberations.|
|October 1954||The Chapter’s Secretary, Dr. R. F. Taylor, sends a formal request to the University of Alberta’s Dean of Medicine, Dr. John Scott, for the desire to have Class A teaching hospitals with a focus on general practice training programs.|
|First Scientific Assembly is held in Red Deer.|
|September 1955||Chapter members are asked to act as preceptors for third and fourth year students (the unofficial preceptorships are early remnants of a Residency program)|
|3rd Annual Scientific Assembly held in Edmonton|
|4th Annual Scientific Assembly held in Lethbridge|
|February 1958||Preceptor plans are finalized for Alberta and run until 1962 before it is replaced by the University of Alberta Family Study Plan.|
|5th Annual Scientific Assembly moves to Banff and has remained as the conference location until this day.|
The ACFP Celebrates 60 Years
September 2014 marked the ACFP’s 60th year as a college. Take a look at the College’s history and click on the timeline below.