Important changes coming to MAINPRO®
The CFPC will make some significant changes to MAINPRO® over the next few years. These changes are based on recommendations received from the membership and will help all Mainpro participants meet their changing learning requirements, System changes, such as the new minimum credit reporting and e-reporting will ensure that the appropriate mechanisms are in place that will allow Mainpro to evolve and improve over time.
Effective January 2013 – Minimum Mainpro Credits Reporting
- All Mainpro participants will be required to report a minimum of 25 credits per year during their five-year cycle. This annual minimum requirement may be comprised of any combination of Mainpro M1, Mainpro-M2, and/or Mainpro-C credits.
e-Reporting of Credits (Online-only Credit Reporting)
- Mandatory online credit reporting is now required. Mainpro participants can set up an online account any time to get started with the 3-reporting process.
Visit the CFPC website to learn more about these changes
or for more information on reporting your Mainpro credits
Understanding MAINPRO CPD
Members of the CFPC are required to demonstrate commitment to continuous professional development (CPD) by participating in the Mainpro (Maintenance of Proficiency) program. Mainpro is the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) program designed to support and promote the continuous professional development of family physicians. When you join the CFPC as a member, complete the family medicine certification examination or register as a non-member Mainpro participant, you will be assigned a five-year Mainpro cycle.
|CFPC Mainpro Credit
To fulfill your Mainpro requirements, you must submit a minimum of 250 credits in each five-year CPD cycle.
Note: Annual minimum reporting requirements will be required as of January 2013.
|Mainpro-M1 and/or Mainpro-C
|At least 125 of the 250 credits must be Mainpro-M1 and/or Mainpro-C*
|Up to 125 of the 250 credits may be Mainpro-M2 credits
*If you were awarded Fellowship (FCFP) in 2004 or later, or if you wish to earn Fellowship in the College, you must report a minimum of 25 Mainpro-C credits in each five-year Mainpro cycle.
For a full description of How Mainpro Works visit the CFPC site
Below are some sample Mainpro activities.
Mainpro-C credits are earned when you participate in CFPC accredited programs that include a demonstrated self-reflective component. Eligible activities will include opportunities to reflect on what you have learned and how you might best incorporate newly acquired knowledge and/or skills into your practice.
- Peer-reviewed courses, workshops and programs approved for Mainpro-C credit by the CFPC (e.g. Advanced life-support programs such as ACLS, ALSO, PALS, etc., PGSGL programs, Pearls™ , Linking Learning to Practice™)
- Practice audits and quality assurance programs
- Provincial practice assessment and enhancement programs
- Clinical traineeships
- University degree/diploma programs
At least 125 of the 250 credits required in each five-year CPD cycle, must be Manpro-M1 and/or Mainpro-C. Mainpro-M1 credits are earned when you participate in structured learning programs, events or activities that focus on enhancing knowledge and skills integral to family medicine.
- Pre-accredited Group Learning Activities – (e.g. CFPC-accredited Conferences, courses and workshops, hospital/clinical rounds, journal clubs, internet-based CME, etc.)
- Academic Activities – ( e.g. faculty development activities, conducting research, and preparing manuscripts for publication, etc.)
- Contributions to the Medical Community (e.g. committee participation, serving as an examiner, reviewing manuscripts for medical journals, etc.)
- Self-Directed Learning Activities – (e.g. Self Learning™ program, practice audits and quality assurance programs)
- Some of the above examples listed above may also be accredited as Mainpro-C.
Some of the above activities can also be accredited as Mainpro-C CPD.
For listings of programs that have been pre-approved/accredited for Mainpro credits in Alberta please visit: CFPC-Mainpro
, University of Calgary
, University of Alberta
If you are planning a conference, workshop or learning event and would like to apply for accreditation, please visit the CPD Accreditation page
, or call the ACFP office at 780-488-2395.
A maximum of up to 125 Mainpro-M2 credits can be submitted in a 5-year cycle. Mainpro-M2 credits are earned when physicians participate in self-directed and/ or non-CFPC-accredited learning activities.
Conferences, courses and workshops, not accredited for Mainpro-M1 or Mainpro-C
Teaching (undergraduate, postgraduate, or CME)
Presentations and speaking
Preparation of papers for publication
Reading (books, journals, monographs)
Audio and video tapes
CD-ROM and other computer-based programs